Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Why I’m obviously not Bulgarian


Today, January 1, 2013, marks exactly 17 weeks that I have been living in Bulgaria. I’d say I’ve done a pretty good job of living here and getting acclimated, however, there still are and always will be things that prevent me from being seen as a Bulgarian.

·      I can’t walk in heels (but I’m learning)
·      I can’t walk on ice (not so much learning happening in that area)
·      I have dreads, which apparently not only pegs me as a foreigner, but specifically American
·      I have tattoos
·      I try not to wear the color black too much, and when I do, it’s usually paired with some brown
·      I’m not fond of dressing up, especially to run errands
·      In fact, my style, the “ Messy hair, comfy, and hopefully a bit stylish” look, seems to be pretty out of place here
·      I wear scarves as a normal part of almost every outfit, instead of only for the warmth when it gets cold
·      My ski coat comes out once it gets below 50 degrees Fahrenheit
·      Being more reserved in public is something I often have to be pretty intentional about
·      I usually carry a one and a half liter water bottle wherever I go
·      I tend to want to drink more than 350 mL (about 12 oz) of water during a meal
·      I like refills. Free refills
·      I often carry a travel mug of hot cocoa or hot tea with me, especially on cold bus rides at 6:50am
·      I do not like coffee, especially straight espresso shots
·      I hate using an umbrella, my raincoat is where it’s at
·      I sit on the ground
·      I like open windows
·      I am white. Really white
·      I love my Tevas
·      I say “Yall”
·      While I’m at it, I’ll go ahead and admit that my Bulgarian, if nothing else, usually blows my cover

No comments:

Post a Comment