Friday, October 26, 2012

Thank Goodness for Cards.

Yesterday was my first time teaching English. It wasn't anything too official right now; we are just filling in for our Bulgarian teacher while he is away at a conference. He needed three days covered, so Alex, Susanna, and I each took a day.

I had a Pre-Certificate class, meaning they are all grades nine through eleven and quite good in English, from 2:45-6pm. Being the much more spontaneous, go with the flow teammate, I thought about the class while laying in bed the night before and came up with a plan during the hour I had to kill before it started. Alex, on the other hand, had two hour and a half classes and came up with this big lesson plan and structured homework assignment. The differences in our learning styles became so much more clear this week. :)

My class had six students: three girls and three boys. The boys sat in the front row and were quite talkative. Movies, Bulgaria, sports, school, America, music... the list of topics goes on and on. The girls, however, were quite a different story. As with most teenage girls, these three sat on the back row and whispered (in Bulgarian) the whole time. Even specifically asking them questions usually led to blank stares and giggling. I did get some answers out of them, so it wasn't a complete failure. We talked about our Bucket Lists and life goals, places we have traveled and places we want to visit, and things we like/dislike about our own cultures.

It wouldn't have been a normal conversation without the all too common, "Why are you here? You are from America..." and got to explain why I love it here. They all want to go to Germany or the States for college and would love a reason to stay out of Bulgaria. I really liked the group, they seem like a bright bunch of teens and I'm excited to see where life takes them.

After an hour and a half, we took a break so the girls could go to the store down the street and the boys could find a deck of cards. That's right, I have now gotten six more teens hooked on the greatness that is Mafia. Honestly, it was a bit confusing to explain to people who'd never heard of it, but we got the gist of it. Because we had such a small group, we must have played at least 20 rounds over the next hour. I had to pat myself on the back for getting them into one of my games, not to mention, one that REQUIRES talking.

I am also looking forward to reading their homework essays: Describe your dream job. Why is it your dream job? Does it require a college degree? What would you have to study? Is it something you would do in Bulgaria or somewhere else? How much does it pay? Do any of your family members do the same job?

Overall, I'd say it was successful. I certainly enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment